I was looking at my nook and apparently I have like 75 free ebooks on there to read and that surprised me. I thought we had maybe ten but 75?! Guys, there’s a TON of free ebooks on Amazon and the nook app, apparently I have a ton I need to read… Anyways, I was looking for something quick to read before heading over to the library and since Zenith part one was only 62 pages, I decided to read it.
Summary from goodreads.com
There is darkness sweeping across the stars.
Most know Androma Racella as the Bloody Baroness: a powerful mercenary whose reign of terror stretches across the Mirabel Galaxy. To those aboard her fearsome glass starship the Maurader, she’s just Andi, their captain and protector.
When a routine mission goes awry, the all-girl crew’s resilience is tested as they find themselves in a most unfamiliar place: at the mercy of a sadistic bounty hunter connected to Andi’s past and a harrowing betrayal.
Meanwhile, on the far side of the galaxy, a ruthless ruler waits in the shadows of the planet Xen Ptera, biding her time to exact revenge for the destruction of her people. The final pieces of her deadly plan are about to fall into place, unleashing a plot that will tear Mirabel in two.
Andi and her crew embark on a dangerous, soul-testing journey that could restore order to their ship—or just as easily start a war that will devour worlds. As the Marauder hurtles towards the unknown, and Mirabel hangs in the balance, the only thing certain is that in a galaxy run on lies and illusion, no one can be trusted.
I’ve heard lots of mixed opinions on Zenith, and that really put me off. The reviews on goodreads are mostly negative, which only made matters worse. But since it was only 62 pages, and apparently picked up for a full book deal, I was like meh, whatever I’ll read it… and I semi agree with those reviews. Here’s why.
1. Zenith is a LOT like Throne of Glass, only set in space! While I really liked that, and I’m not sure if it was intentional, it reminded me sooooo much of TOG which isn’t a bad thing really. But I couldn’t out it out of my head and the whole entire time I was reading, I kept making connections.
To start, Andi aka The Bloody Baroness reminds me a loooooot of Manon/Aelin and her crew was a lot like the thirteen. They were ruthlessly bloodthirsty, cold hearted, yet Andi’s POV showed that she had a heart to her, even if she was willing to slice heads off with her swords. I’m not entirely sure how I felt about her honestly, she was super ruthless, but I have a feeling her story (in the final version) will be pretty epic. We need some space pirate girls out there.
Dex reminded me of Dorian and Chaol if they merged into one being. He was a lot like Andi, only money hungry I guess. He’s a Bounty Hunter and GUYS this book was Space Pirate Girls AND Bounty Hunters. This is like Cow BoyBebop YA 😀 (not a bad thing, I love Cowboy Bebop.)
I already mentioned her crew, so I’ll just go into a bit more detail there. Her crew consists of a few other girls, Breck, Gilly, and Lira. They were a lot like Andi (so far) in the blood thirsty, trigger finger, ruthless way. Which isn’t a bad thing because it didn’t take away from the book but that leads me to my second point.
2. All the characters (so far) felt the exact same. Now, 62 pages isn’t a whole lot of time to fully develop the characters, so I’m sure this will be different in book two :).
I just wanted to mention that they all felt like the same person. All the characters (SO FAR), Dex, Andi, Breck, Gilly and Lira were all ruthless, cold hearted and blood thirsty. I know I keep saying that but seriously, that’s basically how they were for the entire 62 pages.
I hope the full book will develop more on their personalities, which I’m sure they will. You can have a space pirate story without having 100% ruthless cast (not to sound harsh).
3. The ship was called the Murauder like the one in Dark Matter! There’s nothing wrong with this but it made me smile, I LOOOOOVE Dark Matter. Zenith is definitely Throne of Glass meets Dark Matter. Cold blooded criminal space pirates meets writing style like Sarah J. Maas. Yup.
4. I really liked the writing! While I wish it was longer so we could see more of the story and characters, I think that these 62 pages was enough to show off a really nice writing style! I adore rotating, 3rd person POV, so maybe that’s just me, but the writing was detailed and lovely!
5. Zenith was super fast paced. The beginning zoomed by where, for example, one minute Andi would be resting for a few sentences and then BOOM they’re under attack. I didn’t really like the pacing, yet it made for an exciting opening that was definitely thrilling.
Fable’s Final Thoughts
I know it sounds like the opposite, BUT I really did enjoy this book. I think the full version coming out this year will be amazing. The Dark Matter meets Throne of Glass comparison really works… I can’t wait to read more 🙂