The end of the year survey was created by The Perpetual Page-Turner!
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Angelina: The Female of the Species (you can read my review here!) There were some parts that were hard to read BUT it left me breathless by the end. It felt real to me, it’s a book that sticks with me. It’s a book I find myself thinking back to.
Brianna: EMPIRE OF STORMS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ EVER. But other than a very popular series… The Princess Saves Herself in this One (a poetry book) or The Thousandth Floor or The Impostor Queen were the best reads for me :). I can’t decide ok?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Angelina: This is Our Story by Ashley Elston it sounded like a crazy, mysterious, thrilling book but I got none of those feelings. I was left off disappointed because it had so much potential.
Brianna: Caraval… Ok so I liked it BUT I think it was over hyped, so I get overly excited and ended up not liking it as much as I thought I would. It was magical but… not my favorite book like I thought it would be. But a 2016 released book… Scythe. It was interesting, just not as captivating as I thought it would be, I did like it though (not as much as I thought I would).
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Angelina: And I Darken by Kiersten White I generally hate historical fiction but this book…THIS BOOK I LOVED SO MUCH and it has a pretty cover 🙂
Brianna: the ending of Empire of Storms blew me away. But to give some more love to a not as popular book… Vicarious I was expecting to like it, Vicarious exceeded my expectations and I could not, for the life of me, put it down. It was AMAZING.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Angelina: Nothing xD
Brianna: Probably The Impostor Queen, no words other than SO GOOD.
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Angelina: A Study in Charlotte was one of the best ones (also And I Darken). I tend to not really like retellings (A Study in Charlotte is kind of a retelling) but I did love it. Calamity was the best series ender, I LOVED Steelheart so much.
Brianna: Empire of Storms. The best series starter though was definitely The Thousandth Floor it was sparkling, and captivating, and I cannot wait to see what the next book holds. The ending took my breath away.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Angelina: Mindy McGinnis (author of The Female of the Species)
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Angelina: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch it’s an adult book but it was so good, I couldn’t put it down.
Brianna: I never read poetry… The Princess Saves Herself in this One was JUST. SO. GOOD. READ IT PLEASE!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Angelina: Dark Matter xD see above response.
Brianna: I read Vicarious in a day basically XD. I could NOT put it down, it was so well written and full of twists and turns.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Angelina: Nothing I don’t really reread books, I’d rather be reading something new.
Brianna: I don’t re-read. Unless the new version of The Princess Saves Herself in this One counts?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
Angelina: The Graces by Laure Eve, it’s so pretty to look at♥
Brianna: I love the cover @_@ ❤
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Angelina: Spider Gwen because she’s one of my newest favorite Marvel characters 🙂
Brianna: Manon from Throne of Glass. I kind of love her character, she is so interesting to me and I want her to have her own book, mug, movie, coloring book, and everything XD. She is probably one of my all time favorite literary characters.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Angelina: I don’t remember much about this one AND I didn’t write a review for it but I remember Wink, Poppy Midnight was written well (I think xD)
Brianna: Caraval was full of BEAUTIFUL writing! As far as 2016 books go… Empire of Storms, I just love Sarah J. Maas’s writing.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
Angelina: Again I’m going to have to go with The Female of the Species, it points out double standards and talks about some real stuff.
Brianna: The Princess Saves Herself in this One, so amazing, so thought-provoking.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Angelina: Spider Gwen 😀 I’m not sure if it came out this year or not but I love the story and I love her character 🙂
Brianna: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) was so good, I CAN’T BELIEVE it took me that look to get to it.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
Angelina: From Labrynith Lost
“Right now I’m just a girl, and there is also magic in that.”
Brianna: From Empire for Storms…
“Even when this world is a forgotten whisper of dust between the stars, I will always love you.”
“The world,” Aelin said, “will be saved and remade by the dreamers”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Brianna: The shortest book was Dreamology by Lucy Keating and longest book was Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass 5) by Sarah J. Maas
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Angelina: I’m going with The Graces by Laure Eve
BECAUSE OF THAT ENDING I NEED MORE RIGHT NOW! RIGHT THIS INSTANT! OH MY GOSH DON’T DO THAT TO ME!
Brianna: EMPIRE OF STORMS, THAT ENDING THOUGH!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Angelina: I don’t really ship book characters but maybe xD I’m more into shipping TV/video game/movie characters…
Brianna: THORNE AND CRESS OH MY GOSH ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Angelina: I liked Lada and Radu’s sibling relationship from And I Darken (from what I remember). Family relationships aren’t really focused on T.T
Brianna: None. I don’t remember reading any non-romantic relationships that I adored so whatever. I’d like to read more friendships in 2017 tired of romance *sigh*
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Angelina: Since I already mentioned Calamity, I guess I’ll go with The Hunt (The Cage #2) by Megan Shepherd. This series isn’t my favorite BUUUUUUT I can’t wait to see how it ends, the whole series keeps getting crazier and crazier.
Brianna: Empire of Storms obviously.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Brianna: Ready Player One… and I didn’t like it (sadly) 😦
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Angelina: I don’t crush on book characters xD
Brianna: I don’t really crush on characters, I like them but don’t crush so. I do like Thorne (from Cress) though :’D he’s my favorite kind of character to read (and write) about.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
Angelina: Uhhhhhh either And I Darken or A Study in Charlotte 🙂
Brianna: Blackhearts! It was good :D!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Angelina: I don’t think it was perfect but I’d say Labryinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova because it was SO magical and that really stuck with me. The world reminded me of Wonderland 🙂
Brianna: Scythe. The world of Scythe was so realistic, the rules for the Scythes made so much sense and fit so perfectly with the world. I ADORED the world although I hope we never get to that point 😛
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Angelina: Don’t Get Caught by Kurt Dinan it was a prank book (from what I remember) and what’s not funny about that?
Brianna: Lady Renegades, all of the books in the Rebel Belle series were so much fun to read 🙂 they were light hearted and unique.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
Angelina: The Memory Book by Lara Avery it was so SO emotional.
Brianna: Swan Boy hands down, it was so realistic and hit me pretty hard. The writing was also very good.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Angelina: All the books I read xD no one reads the books I REALLY love T.T Seriously, Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies and A Cure for Suicide. Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies was SO WEIRD but super good! A Cure for Suicide was a quietly beautiful.
Brianna: The Impostor Queen, I haven’t heard too many people talking about it, so if you haven’t read it yet, DO IT! You will not regret it.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Brianna: Empire of Storms pretty much crushed me to tiny pieces. Oh gosh, it was just so good.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
Angelina: Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies PLEASE READ IT!!!
Brianna: Vassa in the Night HANDS DOWN! It was INCREDIBLE and introduced me to the wonderful world of magical realism 🙂 I love the originality of it, the writing, the story, all so beautiful and amazing.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Angelina: Reign of Shadows, IT WAS SO BORING
Brianna: I don’t know… honestly :O
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
It’s really hard to pick a favorite, especially because I don’t remember when I found what blog 😮
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
Angelina: I was going to say The Graces but I keep mentioning that one, so this time I’ll go with The Hunt.
Brianna: I’m going with Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) by Sarah J. Maas
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Angelina: Book Blogging on Fire, I kept laughing to myself while writing it xD some memes are so relatable.
Brianna: I had a lot of fun putting together my Queen of Shadows reaction post, like A LOT of fun. I had a billion feelings after reading that book, it was amazing and I had to write a post gathering all my thoughts. Be wary of ENDING spoilers.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Angelina: NYCC! The only event I attended, and like Brianna said, we didn’t really go to the book panels. We were going to go to the Mr. Robot one but the line was WAYYYYY to long and they cut it off after a certain amount of people, so we went to a different panel xD
Brianna: The only event I participate in was NYCC and I spent most of my time at screenings and tv panels so :O none?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
Angelina: Meeting some nice people at NYCC and getting help from them since I had never been to a big city, or traveled on my own 😄
Brianna: I got to meet some lovely bloggers at NYCC! SHOUT OUT to the awesome NYCC Book Blogger squad 🙂 it was fun guys!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Angelina: Reading because I didn’t read as much as I did last year. Last year I read 93 books, this year I read around 43, less than half!
Brianna: Reading. In general. For whatever reason, I was in a huge reading slump this year. My goal was to read 100 books which I did last year but this year… I read less than half of that. I was having a really hard time finding a book to read, and I kept picking up so many books I did NOT enjoy, so it made me want to read even less.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Well since we’re always changing what platform we have our blog on (a habit we need to put to a stop xD) our most popular post is our Empire of Storms review with 498 views (our biggest one yet). The one in second place was our New York Comic Con 2016- A Book Lovers Guide with 176 views A HUGE difference.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Angelina: Book Blogging on Fire, I wish it got more comments. I spent two days working on that post and there are no comments T.T
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Angelina: I agree with Brianna, Etsy 🙂
Brianna: Etsy in general, so many good stuff there 😛
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Angelina: No T.T well I am participating in 12 Days of Diversity but I’m not sure how far I’ll get…
Brianna: NOPE. I never complete my reading challenges so 😛
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Angelina: The Midnight Star, I LOVE The Young Elites and still haven’t finished it (same with the Raven King T.T) WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?
Brianna: THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR! It sounds like everything I’d love!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Brianna: I am super intensely excited for The Love Interest.
Angelina: Well I’m not sure what all the debut books are but Follow Me Back seems promising 🙂
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
Angelina: Last of August 🙂
Brianna: The next Throne of Glass book, it’s the only series I’m really reading right now 😛
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Angelina: Read more diverse books :3
Brianna: Read more, and read more diverse books!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Angelina: None xD I wasn’t a huge fan of Caraval, I didn’t like Spindle Fire. Hopefully I’ll find a good one soon 🙂
Brianna: I haven’t really loved any of the 2017 books I’ve already read so… I think Roseblood was the best out of the three I’ve read and I gave it three stars…