No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.
Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.
But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point. -Goodreads.com
What I Liked
- I wasn’t sure how much I’d like And I Darken because it’s historical fiction, a genre I can never seem to enjoy reading. However, And I Darken was so good it brought me out of a reading slump. For the first time in MONTHS I actually wanted to sit down and keep reading something. It was a nice change and just what I needed.
- One of my favorite things in And I Darken, are the characters. Lada is a super strong girl who knows how to break expectations. She doesn’t just sit down and take what you throw at her, she gets up and grabs it herself. She doesn’t need ANYONE to help her, and I like that. Radu is her sweet younger brother who also breaks the expectations of their time. He’s not strong and doesn’t fight, he’s lacks the strength his sister had. That was also a nice change! And then we had Mehmed the sultan of the land. The characters had strong bonds to each other, they had a friendship I’d want 🙂 mostly anyways XD
- On another note, I loved the cover xD it’s so pretty to look at.
- I kept seeing a post on twitter that compared this book to Game of Thrones. For once I could actually see the comparison. And I Darken isn’t as adult/graphic as Game of Thrones, but it sure does have the overall mood of the show. It makes me want to finish watching the show xD I seriously need to catch up!
What I Didnt Like
- Uh..what didn’t I like…hmmm…
- And I Darken was a book that exceeded my expectations. It helped me past a reading slump and made me want to read to the very end.