I don’t remember how I heard about Girl Against the Universe O_O but I did, and somehow I borrowed it from the library and it landed in my hands and I read it and I liked it and and and… let me slow down XD.
Here is the synopsis:
~Synopsis from goodreads.com~
Maguire is bad luck.
No matter how many charms she buys off the internet or good luck rituals she performs each morning, horrible things happen when Maguire is around. Like that time the rollercoaster jumped off its tracks. Or the time the house next door caught on fire. Or that time her brother, father, and uncle were all killed in a car crash—and Maguire walked away with barely a scratch.
It’s safest for Maguire to hide out in her room, where she can cause less damage and avoid meeting new people who she could hurt. But then she meets Jordy, an aspiring tennis star. Jordy is confident, talented, and lucky, and he’s convinced he can help Maguire break her unlucky streak. Maguire knows that the best thing she can do for Jordy is to stay away. But it turns out staying away is harder than she thought.
From author Paula Stokes comes a funny and poignant novel about accepting the past, embracing the future, and learning to make your own luck.
What I Liked
- This book was adorable, SUPER cute. I love cute, I ADORE cute. The thing that made this book super unique to me was the relationships between all the characters. There was no big bad guy, no mean girl/guy, no one to hate. Everyone was loveable, they were great friends to Maguire and Jordy :). I think there are a lot of YA book that don’t have good friendships, but Girl Against the Universe had a large focus on friendship, love and moving on.
- Like I was saying, I really liked Jordy and Maguire! Their relationship wasn’t intense (not like INTENSE INTENSE you know) it was sweet, and kind and they cared for each other (not saying other relationships don’t care for each other)! I loved how sweet they were for each other, and how much they clearly loved each other AND how they helped each other through hard times :)! WOOT WOOT go Jordy and Maguire XD.
- But their relationship, like all relationships, had problems. Not everything was perfect, they fought (at times (kind of)) and I really liked the realistic part of it 🙂
- I really like books that make me emotional, happy or sad, but let’s be real, more books make me cry than not. Girl Against the Universe had me SAD crying and HAPPY crying, I was a mess, okay? A MESS! This book is an emotional rollarcoaster D: (a good one)!
- This is my first Paula Stokes book :D! Angelina read Liar’s Ink… but I didn’t :O. I am glad to say that I love her writing!
Fable’s Final Thoughts
But I didn’t give this five stars? What the heck Brianna? Why did you do this? YOU MONSTER!
Kidding, I’m not a monster, please don’t hate me *hides*. While I LOVED the majority of Girl Against the Universe it wasn’t my favorite book, nothing against it or Paula Stokes :). Yes I loved her writing and her story but it wasn’t my favorite. I can’t explain it, I can’t put it in words and I’m sorry about that D:. But I really do recommend this book! GATU was cute, emotional, and very, very shipable 🙂
Have you read this book by Paula Stokes? Have you read any of her other books? Which one should I read next?
Oh and I made this thing for Mood Board Monday 😀
If you want to see my post for Mood Board Monday for Girl Against the Universe, click HERE!