Twin Peaks meets Stars Hollow in this paranormal suspense novel about a boy who can reach inside people and steal their innermost things—fears, memories, scars, even love—and his family’s secret ritual that for centuries has kept the cliff above their small town from collapsing.
Aspen Quick has never really worried about how he’s affecting people when he steals from them. But this summer he’ll discover just how strong the Quick family magic is—and how far they’ll go to keep their secrets safe.
With a smart, arrogant protagonist, a sinister family tradition, and an ending you won’t see coming, this is a fast-paced, twisty story about power, addiction, and deciding what kind of person you want to be, in a family that has the ability to control everything you are. -Goodreads.com
When I saw the title of Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies, I knew I kind of wanted to read it xD I mean, rocks fall? How, where, why, who and what? What makes these rocks so threatening? THEN when I read the first line of the inside cover of the book, “Aspen Quick can reach inside you with his mind and steal anything he wants” I KNEW I HAD TO READ IT! I love books that have magical characters like X-Men and stuff like that. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!
What I Liked
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies was one of the first books to hold my attention in a looonnnng time. I swear I blinked and BOOM I was halfway done. I’m not sure if I was just reading quick, if it was short, of if I was just captivated by the writing. Which, I did like the writing and the main characters wit/sarcasm. I dunno why, I just liked Aspen.
- I also liked the cover. It’s pretty simple but the yellow sign on the blue background really pops out. It looked nice to me :3
- POSSIBLE SPOILER? I DUNNO… I LOVED how the Quick’s had to take care of the cliff by using their power to push emotions from objects to the cliff. It may sound confusing but it was super creative. END POSSIBLE SPOILER…
- The ENDING. Usually I see ‘twists’ and ‘turns’ coming by page one xD so I NEVER end up shocked. This one was pretty surprising, and got pretty dang intense too. Never saw it coming, loved it!
What I Didn’t Like
- In the summary it says ‘sinister family tradition’. I can see that but it’s hard for me to see that because of spoilers. I’m not going to say why, but I don’t know if it’s necessarily true…
- Really when I finished Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies, I didn’t have much to say. It didn’t leave a long, everlasting impression but it was a fun read 🙂
- I think it was pretty uneventful? Maybe? Until the last few chapters where it hit you with BOOM and BOOM BOOM!
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies was one of my favorite books of 2016 so far. I’m glad I read it, Aspen was a great character and his abilities were so imaginative. However, I think it was a bit uneventful until the very end.