I was able to read this book thanks to Edelweiss, this does not change my review at all.
GUYS. I did the weirdest thing in the WHOLE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, I DNFed (Did Not Finish) a book that I am in LOVE with. Head over heels in LOVE. So all of you out there reading this are probably thinking, ARE YOU INSANE, and yes, yes I am. BUT I do have a good reason so allow me to explain myself :D?
Summary from goodreads!
There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.
Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.
This is the first book I’ve ever read by Victoria Schwab, yes I know, another thing to add to my list of insanity…. She is SUCH a great writer, I can tell from just this book :’D. I will be reading her other books too now, I have them all on my TBR (To Be Read) pile. Victoria Schwab impressed me with this story, she blew me past the moon and into uncharted galactic territory. So what is my deal? Why didn’t I finish this lovely story?
- This Savage Song is REALLY dark, not in the literal sense but the figurative :P. I could not bring myself to finish it because of how dark/creepy it was. Here is an example, it isn’t really a spoiler at all but in case you want to be shocked when you read it, I’ll put it under a spoilers tag :). [spoiler]Kate wants to prove to her father that she isn’t a coward, or a cry baby or weak, and so on. So she goes into the basement of her home where the monsters live (the ones who work for her Father) and she offers to kill one of them for him. She takes a crowbar and shoves it up his ribs killing him O_O. This isn’t the only dark scene, there are so many sprinkled in this book. Another example is when Leo takes August out to show him another way to treat their targets. He tortures the monster and makes August watch.[/spoiler] So as you may or may not see, This Savage Song has plenty of dark, violent moments that literally dampened the mood. I could NOT finish it because of the feeling it left me with. I feel like I shouldn’t read these kinds of books. So I’m sorry Victoria Schwab 😦
You gave it 4.5 stars. WHY DID YOU GIVE IT 4.5 STARS?
Excellent question fellow reader allow me to explain!
- The characters
- This Savage Song has Savage characters BA DUM DUM. No? Ok. But seriously, these characters are something else. I don’t want to say too much about them, but they are VERY different from the characters I’m used to. Kate is a bit vicious and strong, August is quiet and very interesting…. That is all I will say 🙂
- The story
- I am kind of in love with the world Victoria Schwab created here. It feels Distopian, it feels Fantasy, urban fantasy probably, but it feels right which is the most important. The history behind it was a little confusing, but then again, I didn’t finish it 😛 I read 50%. The idea of monsters coming out at night, of a world living in constant fear of the shadows and darkness, a divided world, IS SO INCREDIBLY COOL, I JUST ADFGHJKL.
- The monsters
- Which brings me to the monsters. They were horrifying, they are creepy. They were INTERESTING. There are different kinds of monsters, and the differences between each race is so COOL. Even though they freak me out, I loved that about this book. The monsters weren’t what you thought they would be, they were more than walking shadows and creepy human like things. I really liked the Sunai monsters definitely had the coolest idea around them and I wont explain why because I think you should read it and be all like “WOAH O___O WHAT IS THIS CRAZINESS (in a good and eerie way XD),” like I was.
- The creepiness
- Even though I DNFed this book because of it, it did make the story seem a whole lot more intense. These were monsters to fear, monsters to watch out for. They were an actual threat, and they most certainly were not your typical creatures of the dark that’s for sure O_O *shudders*
- The writing
- OH MY GAWSH VICTORIA SCHWAB MUST BE ONE OF THE QUEEN’S OF YA LITERATURE! AM I RIGHT, OR AM I RIGHT? This Savage Song is written in third person and I, for one, am a SUCKER for third person. The chapters alternate between Kate and August, we lose NOTHING from this rotation, instead we gain a whoooooooole lot. I’m not even joking, the writing in this IS beautiful and also creepy XD. Perfeeeect.
Fable’s Final Thoughts
If you like dark and scary stories with threatening monsters and shady characters, oh man you gotta read this. This Savage Song IS good, and I DO recommend it, even if I didn’t have it in me to finish it.