THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD TV SHOWS COMING OUT THIS MONTH THAT WE HAVE BEEN SO EXCITED TO WATCH SO WHY NOT START OFF OUR NEW YEAR REVIEWING MOVIES AND TV SHOWS ALONG BOOKS WITH A FANTASY SCIENCE FICTION TV SHOW ABOUT ELVES AND MAGIC AND THINGS?
But wait. Let me back it up a bit. I’m going to let the MTV Shannara Chronicles website sum it up for you
‘The Shannara Chronicles’ is a new TV series based on the best-selling fantasy novels by Terry Brooks. Set thousands of years after the destruction of our civilization, the story follows an Elven Princess, Amberle, a half-human half-elf, Wil, and a human, Eretria, as they embark on a quest to stop a Demon army from destroying the Four Lands. Watch new episodes every Tuesday at 10/9c on MTV.
(Psssst: You can watch the first few episodes HERE!!!)
What We Liked:
- The Shannara Chronicles has very pretty visuals that are fantastic looking and fit with everything. It looks fake at some points but still manages to look well done. The colors go well with the mood and manages to make everything appear more magical, as does the lighting. And the costumes are pretty great, but see second point under What We Didn’t Like for why we’re conflicted about them. (I’m so jelly, I want all their outfits)
- Angelina and I are watching the episodes Saturday nights at 10-12! So we are watching them a bit late XD. The thing is, we didn’t really like the first episode all that much until we went back and watched it again the next day. For whatever reason, The Shannara chronicles Episode 1 was actually better the second time around! We noticed more too
- Elves ♥ MUST I EXPLAIN THIS ONE????! No? Ok 😀
- So far, the story seems like it will be pretty good. It is an interesting, unique concept that should make a great tv show. Maybe it’s too early to tell, but we are kind of in love already with this magical world of elves and creepy leaves.
- The show seems a lot like Dragon Age, Skyrim, Game of Thrones and The 100 (which is out there xD) But it seems like it might be a really epic show, however, it may be too soon to tell just like the story point! *sigh*
What We Didn’t Like:
- We’ve heard a lot about the acting in this show. OKAY GUYS. We agree, the acting is… not the best. Yet. The thing is, we thought The 100 tv show had awful acting until we watched more episodes. The acting DOES get better the further on a show airs, so we are holding out hope that The Shannara Chronicles will… eventually… have… better… acting. *sighs* The acting thing made the show a bit awkward? Not exactly sure how to explain it BUT the interactions between characters were sooooo weird at times. For example, *kinda spoilers* Eretria meets Amberle in the woods while the Princess is running away. She claims that Amberle is running away from someone who broke your heart (or something) and then she super akwardly licked her lips. There are soooo many awkward interactions like this where Allanon slaps Wil in the face, that was weird XD. BUT this might because they are newer actors. So whatever. They’ll get better :D!
- So what is the DEAL with this genre? Angelina and I are both a bit confused. Is this science fiction, or fantasy? Where are the humans? How is this high fantasy on Earth? WUT?
- Gore. Ew. The first episode of The Shannara Chronicles wasn’t too gory but there were scenes of gore (see Parental guide)
- Wil. So far…. Not Wil… he isn’t the best character. He is naive and a bit… lame? I don’t know, his character will probably change over time but at the moment, I am not in love.
- The whole story is kind of… confusing. This IS the first episode, so we’re betting that things will get explained but so far… we have so many questions. Where are the humans? What is with Allanon? Who are the Rovers? What is the cost of magic? I NEED ANSWERS ADFGHJK
In a Nutshell:
We may or may not be finishing The Shannara Chronicles. It’s too soon to say if it’s good or not… the idea is awesome but we shall see. Angelina and I do not like gore, so if it gets worse we will probably drop it.
Parents Guide (Though We Are No Parents, Just Teens Who Shake Their Fists At Gore!) *May Contain Spoilers*
Violence and Gore
- There are a few dead bodies seen in several scenes. They’re bloody but not shown all that much, and aren’t really THAT graphic, and if they are graphic they’re shown for only a short period of time. Some of the bodies have smears of blood near them, or things like swords sticking through them.
- While this episode wasn’t over the top gory, there was some disgusting scenes. A demon in the final moments is seen shredding a character to pieces, you can see the person being ripped up from far away. So far, they haven’t shown the ripped up body, the implied it, but haven’t shown it.
- Some scenes have attempted murder. A girl gets strangled from behind, people keep getting hit on the neck (watch where you are GOING). A character gets stabbed and killed.
- There is a scene with a bloody knife.
- The demons might be scary to some younger kids, they aren’t pretty. XD They are in fact, freakkkky.
- A character’s hand is burnt or rotting (we couldn’t decided which) and it shows his skin. It looks freaky.
- The future episodes, from what we can tell of previews and commercials, are shaping up to be intense and gory as well. IT appears that characters will be hunted for their ears (because they are yummy or something? Who eats ears?).
- NONE :D!
- There were few :D. Yay.
- Wil takes a bath- all you see is his bare chest O_O
- Amberle takes a shower- nothing is shown but her bare back O_O
- A naked girl/demon walks around not wearing anything, but her hair is placed strategically.
- KISSING. Or the lack of. It almost happens.
- (These characters like to keep clean. I’m looking at YOU *insert character name* who doesn’t like dirt!)